ICSI Treatment in Delhi
ICSI involves direct injection of a single sperm into a mature egg. The procedure falls under micro manipulation and is a specialist skill. The embryo so formed is then transferred to the womb. The process causes fertilization and overcomes issues of male infertility, poor fertilization during IVF or where donor sperm or eggs are being used. It also scores over conventional insemination, where eggs and sperm are simply put together. Fertilization rates by this process can be 75-85%. The process is a part of In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) procedure, though it may not be used in every case.
Important factors for success for ICSI are the techniques used, quality of laboratory environment, skills of the individual carrying out the injection and the quality of the material collected.
When is this suggested?
- Severe male factor infertility
- Preference for own sperm over donor sperm
- Low sperm motility
- Poor sperm morphology (high percentage of abnormally shaped sperm)
- Cases of surgically retrieved sperm
- Low ovarian reserve cases (reduced quantity or quality)
- History of previous IVF with no or low rate of fertilization of mature eggs
What is involved?
- The patient is prepared for as for IVF, which is egg stimulation and collection.
- Sperm is collected and prepared.
- ICSI treatment is administered by injecting the sperm directly into the cytoplasm of the egg.
- Eggs are checked next day for normal fertilization
- Embryo development and transfer is carried out as per IVF protocol